Re: ASM diskgroup redundancy

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:16:42 +1000

Jörg Jost wrote,on my timestamp of 18/09/2011 8:38 PM:

> we use the mirroring feature delivered by ASM at two sites.
> And we do this most of all because of saving money :)

Hmmm..... Weird... I've never seen anyone save money when using ASM...

> So, regarding this scenario, you will normally use two storages, one
> for each data center.
>
> Now you have the choice, use the ASM mirroring feature to make all
> mirroring over both
> storages or use some build in feature delivered by the storage
> manufacturer. Last one will
> often cause expensive investments, because this feature is not cost
> free.

And ASM does the mirroring out of what? Thin air? Doesn't it need a high speed interconnect, just like the storage replication does? It's not included in the cost of Oracle...
Sorry, but I don't see why ASM has to be cheaper when it needs the same high performance hardware connection as the storage. And please, don't anyone jump in and tell me that ASM is "highly optimized": it isn't, and that is NOT what I am talking about. Received on Mon Sep 19 2011 - 05:16:42 CDT

Original text of this message