Re: installation problem - Oracle 11.2 Enterprise ed. on Windows 7

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:35:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:55:45 -0700, Ken Quirici wrote:

> I think I'm ok. I logged in as system w/ that password and got in and
> was able to create a user.

You are probably missing orapw$ORACLE_SID file. First of all, you cannot connect just using sys/password_at_tns, you must connect to SYS as SYSDBA, like this:

[mgogala_at_medo ~]$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Sat Sep 10 22:24:01 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect sys/*****_at_local as sysdba Connected.
SQL> In order to do that over the net, you need the following file: $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw$ORACLE_SID

ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw$ORACLE_SID
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 1536 Sep 8 15:48 /oracle/product/11.2.0/ dbhome_1/dbs/orapwO11

There is a utility called orapwd which is normally used to create the password file. However, you mentioned logging in as "administrator", so I figured out that you're using the One Platform To Rule Them All, in the land of Redmond, where the shadows lie. Things may be different in Mordor, I don't really know much about that platform.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com