Re: 32 bit Oracle RDBMS on 64 bit OS?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 13:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 9, 11:24 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 9:17 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 8, 3:00 pm, Dan <daniel.oster..._at_visaer.com> wrote:
>
> > > I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify
> > > running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit
> > > operating system.   But does anyone know whether this can be done,
> > > would it/could it work?  I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g
> > > standard edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8).
>
> > > Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dan
>
> > When I was poking around the intertubes a month ago trying to decide
> > whether to go with XE 11g beta, I found posts that said things like
> > "the trick to running XE on 2008 is to right click on the installer
> > exe and set it to run under 2003 compatibility mode, and run as
> > administrator. "
>
> > So I don't know, but poke about.  I wound up deciding to make the
> > admins give me a 32 bit OS and put the beta on it.  Now I'm going to
> > upgrade.  As of yesterday, I didn't see a 64 bit version, which was
> > supposed to be released with the production version, but I didn't look
> > too hard.
>
> > You might look into running a linux VM under your desired OS, I'd
> > guess you'll find all sorts of info about that.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > _at_home.com is bogus.http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/09/sap-to-settle-copyrigh...
>
> 11g XE is available for download in 64-bit version for Linux.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Good to know. I neglected to specify our standard is similar to OP, with Hyper-V, but I can justify older stuff for the few XE's for now. Fortunately, I'm special with Itanium hp-ux Oracle for the ERP. Unfortunately, Oracle corp. has decided that would make me the bastard red-headed stepchild, (with apologies to bastard red-headed stepchildren). I'm grateful to have a boring job in interesting times. (Sleepy after the Fun With Power last night, as some idiot brings down a big chunk of the western power grid while installing electrical grid monitoring. So much for negative instrumentation cost.)

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
“All we need is data and a problem to solve” - Albert Lin