Re: pga settings useage oracle 10.2.0.4 enterprise on windows 2003

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 6, 8:19 am, dba cjb <chris.br..._at_providentinsurance.co.uk> wrote:
> I would like to manually control the amount of pga my session uses or
> is allowed to use
>
> / from 0 to 500m
>
> Please could anyone on advise on parameters that I need to manipulate
>
> cheers
> Chris B
>
> PS I want to do this so that I can force use of temp so that I can
> compare results on a fair basis between runs / a bit like alter system
> flush buffer_cache effect on sga;

You should be able to achieve this with an alter session by setting sort_area_size and setting workarea_size_policy to manual, but it depends on your version/patch level, your pga_aggregate_target, what exactly you are doing, and probably some mysterious stuff.

http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/2009/12/20/sort_area_size-affecting-sorts-to-disk-with-pga_aggregate_target-set/ is interesting.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.