Re: Query on DB Link creation

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:06:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 10, 8:58 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mladen:
>
> # What are you trying to say? That I was wrong for telling him to read
> the manuals?
>
> Ummm ... no ... if you look at my response the first thing I said was
> something like "Yup you got it.
>
> I find it simply amazing that people cannot locate information like
> this on their own ( either from the manuals or from wherever ).
>
> Especially something as straightforward as a link that has probably
> been blogged about a million times.

I gotta admit, I had problems this morning setting up a dblink to newly installed 11g XE beta using the same scripts that had worked perfectly a few months or years ago to two different 10g XE, or so I thought. All documented, but the errors can misdirect. I think the dash character should be allowed at least as a quotable character in a dblink definition, since it is completely reasonable for a host to have that in a name. Having to put in a domain name (even a bogus one) to avoid getting the local domain is just strange. The host is in the tnsnames, why should I have to?

And there are some way off blogs out there.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/09/councilmen-failed-to-disclose-winnings/