Re: LOB compression

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:49:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:19:54 +0100, Jeremy wrote:

>> Maybe DB2 can be a viable alternative? From 9.7 onwards it has a rather
>> good "Oracle compatibility mode", so you can run existing PL/SQL with
>> almost no changes.
>>

> Is there an equivalent to the "web pl/sql toolkit" on DB2?

That is not really important. I am not sure why were web functions integrated with the database in the first place? Relational database must be good at storing and retrieving the data, not deal with the user interface. Web is a UI and doesn't really belong to the RDBMS world. My personal preference for dealing with web is a scripting language like PHP. I am not sure that turning a database into web server makes much sense. As of version 10, it is possible to do just that, by using DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT. Unfortunately, management of this "web server" is convoluted and complex, I definitely do prefer Apache to do my web serving. There are programs for checking Apache logs, there are additional modules like PHP, Perl and Python, there are monitors and programs that secure it and programs that will help you configure it. There is nothing like that within Oracle RDBMS. As a web server Oracle RDBMS is far inferior to Apache and even to IIS.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com