Re: inconsistent results make me grumpy ( where is the 904? )

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 09:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 30, 12:17 pm, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> A repost here from my grumpy old dba blog:
>
> inconsistent/unpredictable results make me grumpy ...
>
> Here is a strange one. Why does one query get an ORA-00904 but the
> same query when used as part of an IN apparently get ignored ( or not
> noticed as an error )?
>
> This query returns an error:
>
> select table_name from dba_users;
> Error at line 1
> ORA-00904: "TABLE_NAME": invalid identifier
>
> This query executes ( not very well but ... ):
> select * from dba_tables where table_name in
> ( select table_name from dba_users );
>
> This reproduces in 11.1.0.7.6 and 10.2.0.4.
>
> Is this a well known bug already or ( for some reason ) expected
> behavior?
>
> I am just starting to research it now ... unfortunately a developer
> has some bad code running in production with this type of code.

I get the 904 in both in my 10.2.0.4 environment, as sys. Perhaps you wind up with some strange predicate in the way you are defining your dba privileges? Maybe setting event 10730 (undocumented way for vpd predicates) will give a tracing clue.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/30/banking-bypass/