Re: Oracle 10 on Solaris 10 - ORA-06553 error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:43:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 27, 5:53 am, neilsolent <n..._at_solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
> > With Neil though and his complaints about how complicated it was/is to
> > get an instance running I have no real idea what Neil is thinking
> > "tune an Oracle database" might consist of.
>
> I am surprised this has caused confusion, and I don't really believe
> it has.
> I don't know the full answer, as I am not an Oracle admin, but one
> example of tuning would be the running of performance tests and adding
> an index to speed up a query on a table.
> Another example would be re-thinking all those parameters the
> installer asks for.

There are a number of tuning methodologies, some of which are bogus. In the past, there have been lively flame wars about it.

There is a fellow Tom Kyte who has written several books that are very helpful to get an understanding of what is going on, including if you are coming from an SS viewpoint. One of them is Effective Oracle by Design, which points out that good performance comes from, surprise, good design. http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:4:0::NO

Most people think most tuning effort is best placed towards tuning sql, which often means figuring out what the optimizer is doing. A lot of the database tuning is now automatic.

Oracle XE (11g is in beta) is designed specifically for people who want to just start working, particularly on Windows. Not sure why you are going for solaris in a vm and expecting it to just work. Solaris has always had expectations on what you are expected to know and that you will follow the installation instructions. One of my favorite bloopers of all time was oracle installation instructions on solaris (a printed book, remember those?), that had the instructions for a different operating system (Solaris switched being based on BSD to SVR4 about 20 years ago).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.  "The typical telecommuter, according to the
study: is 49 years-old, college-educated, non-union, in a management