Re: Oracle 8.0.5 error

From: Dan <daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:45:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 23, 11:53 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 5:28 pm, Dan <daniel.oster..._at_visaer.com> wrote:

> > > And at 2 AM after a long day of battling with Oracle Support and
> > > dealing with production issues I missed the BEQ in the entry.  It
> > > happens.

> > > It may well be but it does seem strange that it's coded as 'orcl' and
> > > not the usual 'ORCL'.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> > David and Gerald,
> > Thanks so much for taking the time to help me here, I appreciate it
> > emmensely.  I'll try to answer your questions:
>
> > - In the registry under hkey-local-machine\software\oracle, there is
> > an ORACLE_SID entry of ORCL.
> > - I checked svrmgr30 and ran it with the .exe at the end and the
> > result is the same.  I went to the bin directory and ran from there to
> > be sure.
> > - Someone asked about  the lower case orcl instead of ORCL, remember
> > this is Windows so the case doesn't matter.  I tried both though just
> > to be 100% sure.
> > - Also, I'm totally local when doing this work, there is no remote
> > database.  What I'm doing is using remote desktop to get to this
> > computer, but it's the database server.  So when running svrmgr30, as
> > long as the ORACLE_SID is set it shouldn't care about tns/sqlnet,
> > etc.  Correct?  What's strange is that it only works when I do the _at_
> > sign in the connect internal command.
>
> > From the trace file it shows that it's using the BEQ connection.  Is
> > this normal?  Per ddf's question, this entry is configured in the
> > tnsnames.ora file in net80\admin.
>
> > Also, somewhere I read that I should set the LOCAL key entry in the
> > registry HOME0 directory to XXXX.  Apparently this is to steer it away
> > from the default orcl.  Not sure why, I did this and nothing
> > happened.  Setting it to ORCL didn't help either.
>
> > Any other suggestions as to what I should do?  I am completely
> > stumped.  Oh, and by the way, I'm building this database for the
> > client because their old oracle server had the EXACT SAME connection
> > problem via svrmgr30.  I thought it was a bad install but maybe not.
> > Could it be something with their network?  Something with the
> > compatibility of 8.0.5 and Win2000?
>
> > Again, thanks for all your help.
> > Dan- Hide quoted text -

> Oracle tested 8.0.6 Enterprise edition on Windows 2000 beta in 1999;
> the official recommendation at that time was to not install 8.0.6 on
> Windows 2000.  See Doc 116208.1 for details.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

They talk about beta, I wonder if it became compatible with subsequent service patches.

I uninstalled Oracle (again) and reinstalled without building a database. I took all the defaults so basically this is as stripped down and generic as I could get. Still svrmgr30 didn't work. I used oradim -new -sid... to create a service, I set my ORACLE_SID to that, but still the ora-12203 errors. (I almost forget how to manually build a db, I set up astripped down init.ora in the oracle_home \database directory than created the services...I think this is right.)

I'm ready to give up. I've never seen an issue that had so many people with the same problem but no resolution seen out there. You guys have given me more in-depth things to look at, I've researched and blogged to learn other changes to make but nothing works. Perhaps is is the OS.

John recommended a ghost install, we may do that. My work partner is getting the media from the client, we may try to reproduce everything locally.

Thanks again,
Dan Received on Fri Jun 24 2011 - 15:45:39 CDT

Original text of this message