Re: Oracle 10 on Solaris 10 - ORA-06553 error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 23, 11:11 am, neilsolent <n..._at_solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
> > Like a VW bug, if it is not properly used and maintained, it will run
> > badly until it dies under a dark underpass, only noticed by the psycho-
> > killer.  http://dbakevlar.com/?p=55
>
> Isn't it obvious that you have to tune the database and plan your
> strategy carefully to get the best out of any database long-term?
> That doesn't mean it's a good idea to make it really painful to get
> the database up and running.
> Sometimes the person installing the database is *shock horror* not a
> seasoned DBA, but a developer or student that just wants to learn some
> SQL.
It doesn't seem to be obvious at all to the people who think SS "just works." I've personally seen a number of situations like this - that is, people who think it "just works" and find out the hard way it doesn't. DBA Kevlar says the obvious better than me.

John points out it isn't hard on the low end. I'd add, it really isn't difficult in the medium area either, though it really depends how complicated the tech stack is. Some things you are perfectly correct, it is way more difficult than it should be. But the abuse and myths I see about how anyone can get SS to work are a more insidious evil.

Understand, I've been online for decades helping developers and students who just want to learn, and you know, eventually it got to the faq point. There are simply some background things one needs to understand to make all this work, and the idea of waving a magic wand to make it work doesn't lead to understanding. Obviously a bunch of mysterious incantations just to get to a point of being able to run sql doesn't help either, but then again, if you don't understand relational concepts and set theory, you are just going to be a bad procedural programmer in a non-procedural world. And that's what I see coming out of the SS world, where everything is so easy and obvious and any student or developer can do it.

John Hurley wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by "tune the database" ...

That would be what we call knob-twiddling.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030119103747/http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/09/13/010913hnoracle.xml