Re: Oracle 8.0.5 error

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:16:59 +0200

ddf wrote:
> Where is this entry configured:
>
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=orcl)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:
> \orant\bin\SVRMGR30.EXE)(HOST=WRIGHT-UUJCBBFS)(USER=Administrator))))
>
> It's not in your posted tnsnames.ora file as the SID you have listed
> is ORCL, not orcl. I expect you have another tnsnames.ora somewhere
> that Oracle is using.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

An Oracle client does not use a tnsnames.ora to decide to which database it should connect. It uses environment variables, registry entries, command-line parameters or the connect string entered by the user. After that, sql*net will be used when connecting to a remote ("_at_") database.

In Dan's trace you'll see he wants a local, bequeath connection, so even for this phase, no tnsnames.ora is needed. Nor is sqlnet.ora.

orcl may well be a built in, default database that svrmgr30.exe tries to contact. Dan, did you check the registry for "orcl" ? On the command line, do you enter "svrmgr30.exe" or just "svrmgr30"? There could be a "svrmgr30;bat" or "svrmgr30.cmd" lurking around. Received on Wed Jun 22 2011 - 13:16:59 CDT

Original text of this message