Re: Oracle 8.0.5 error

From: Dan <daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 20, 7:55 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2:27 pm, Dan <daniel.oster..._at_visaer.com> wrote:
>

> > Gerald,
>
> > Good question.  I don't know why either.  I checked those
> > environmental variables, neither are set.  I found that I can connect
> > this way in svrmgr30:
>
> > connect internal/<PW>_at_<SID>
>
> > This means it clearly uses tns, but why?  Also I always get the
> > ora-12203 error as soon as I get into svrmgr30, even before I do a
> > connect internal.  I've found some people who've gotten this error and
> > suggestions are always tns/listener or sqlnet.ora.  I even did some
> > registry hacks in the HOME0 but no luck. I'm completely stumped.  It's
> > probably something simple, but no luck so far.
>
> > Dan
>
> > On Jun 19, 2:47 pm, "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote:
>
> > > Why would svrmgr try to connect to a database using TNS?
>
> > > Why would it try to connect to a remote database?
>
> > > Do you perhaps have LOCAL or TWO_TASK defined?
>
> > > open a dos-box in your whinedoze environment, and try
>
> > > echo %LOCAL%
> > > echo %TWO_TASK%
>
> > > or verify the output from "set"- Hide quoted text -

> Can you successfully tnsping the service?  What  HOST is being used in
> the listner.ora?  Is a loopback adapter installed?
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

David,

Thanks for jumping in, appreciate the help.

I can successfully tnsping my ORCL database. The host in the listener is the server that I reside on, which it should be. I've pasted the listener.ora below and changed the actual server name to MYSERVER. I've done nothing to the listener except manually add the PILT database to it. The ORCL database was added when I had the installer create ORCL.

Regarding the loopback adapter, there is none shown in the Device Manager. Should there be one installed? I've never done much with them so I'm not much of an expert. SHould something be set up with this?

Dan

PASSWORDS_LISTENER= (oracle)

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = oracle.world))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = ORCL))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = NMP)(SERVER = MYSERVER)(PIPE = ORAPIPE))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYSERVER)(PORT = 1521))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYSERVER)(PORT = 1526))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =