Re: 10g: parallel pipelined table functions with cursor selecting from table(cast(SQL collection)) doesn't work

From: Randolf Geist <mahrah_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 03:12:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 8, 9:00 am, Frank Bergemann <FBergem..._at_web.de> wrote:
> i try to distribute SQL data objects - stored in a TABLE OF <SQL
> object-Type> - to MULTIPLE (parallel) instances of a table function,
> by passing a select CURSOR(...) to the table function, which selects
> from the  SQL TABLE OF storage  via "select * from
> TABLE(CAST(<storage> as <storage-type>)".
>
> Could it be, that this is due to the fact, that my data are not
> globally available, but only in the main thread data?
> Can someone confirm, that it's NOT possible to start multiple parallel
> table functions for selecting on SQL data type TABLE OF <object>
> storages?

It is very likely that Oracle requires a "parallelized" source for the parallel_enabled table function to be executed in parallel, so a "serial" to "parallel" distribution is probably not supported out of the box in such a case.

I have kind of a deja-vu - haven't we discussed a similar issue raised by you not too long ago on this list?

Hope this helps,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/

Co-author of the "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book: http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430226684 http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Practices-Database-Administration/dp/1430226684 Received on Thu Jun 09 2011 - 05:12:12 CDT

Original text of this message