Re: Upgrade 9.2 to 11.2 with minimal downtime

From: Chuck <chuckh1958_nospam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:37:16 -0400

On 6/3/2011 3:21 PM, onedbguru wrote:
> On Jun 3, 11:27 am, Chuck <chuckh1958_nos..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> One more minor factor I forgot to mention :) ....
>>
>> I am also bunzipping the export file on the fly when importing it...
>>
>> bunzip2 < expdat.dmp.bz2 > mypipe &
>> imp file=mypipe ...
>>
>> Don't ask. That's the way it's being delivered.

> How do you create mypipe? typical would be: "mknod mypipe p"
>
> you do know that you can use impdp with your 9i exp file, right? It
> does actually run faster than imp. If you have the space, bunzip it
> first.

Actually I didn't know that impdp would work with an export file. Thanks for the tip.

Even though I've been working with 10g and up for 5 years I almost never use datapump because it doesn't allow you to compress on the fly. The 11g version has a compression=all option but it requires another license to use it and my company has not paid for that license, so I continue to use exp/imp until they either stop distributing it or I encounter a DB with a feature that exp doesn't support.

I'll give impdp a try with the export file. Received on Fri Jun 03 2011 - 15:37:16 CDT

Original text of this message