Upgrade 9.2 to 11.2 with minimal downtime

From: Chuck <chuckh1958_nospam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:39:50 -0400

I need to upgrade a v 9.2 database on AIX to v 11.2 on RHEL5 with minimal down time and I'm looking for suggestions. The DB is also being physically relocated about 1000 miles away.

The database has two application schemas, both of which use LOBS and the total bytes is about 60g.

I've tried using exp/imp (datapump isn't an option because of v9 at the source) but it takes about 36 hours to import which is too long.

My next thought is to use streams to keep the DBs in sync, and then just switch over to the new DB. I've never used streams though and am unfamiliar with it. Is this a viable option? How do I instantiate the 11.2 db? Can I use exp/imp and some how tell the v9 DB at what point to begin sending changes to the new DB? Will the streams queue be able to queue all of the messages that might be created during the 36+ hours it takes to copy the export file to the v11 db? Is there a way in v9 to tell it what SCN or time to begin queuing at?

Materialized views is another option I've thought about but from what I've read, streams seems to be suited to this sort of thing.

TIA Received on Wed Jun 01 2011 - 16:39:50 CDT

Original text of this message