Re: v$abc.. table names - nightmare

From: neilsolent <n_at_solenttechnology.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 06:49:20 -0700 (PDT)

On May 17, 1:19 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 17, 3:55 am, neilsolent <n..._at_solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Why oh why did Oracle decide to make table names with special symobols
> > in them, like v$database?
> > This makes it a nightmare in shell scripts wrapping sqlplus for
> > example!
> > Try writing a shell script that su's to oracle and executes sqlplus to
> > get data from v$database..
> > Is there any workaround to avoid the dollars, such as aliases?
>
> > thanks,
> > Neil
>
> backslash (\) is your friend.

Yes but it's not just as simple as one backslash. My Perl script is calling sqlplus via su (to switch to Oracle) - 7 backslahses needed v\\\\\\\$database !! Try it and see.. that's what I mean by a nightmare. If they could just refrained from naming tables with $ symbols.. :-)

I could just put the script in a file, but not very neat. Using other tools means other problems - more dependencies to cater for.
Oh well, thanks anyway.. Received on Tue May 17 2011 - 08:49:20 CDT

Original text of this message