Re: Do we need multiple REDOLOG member if it is already on SAN box?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Charles:

# Here is our SA's comment ...

I'm NOT fine with this but please remember that I HIGHLY recommend against this.  It is a best practice to never do software raid which is what you are basically doing. This is very old practice when you don't have the infrastructure that we have.

Kind of doubt that your SA has seen as many failure scenario's as Oracle customers have experienced and Oracle coders have engineered against.

You can practice on a test system by having an active redo log group with multiple members. Trash one of the current members ( on a linux system dd command can be used ) while Oracle is using both members.

Destructive testing of failure scenarios on a test system is a good thing.

Even if you don't have any hardware failures there is always a possibility of human error. Received on Fri Apr 29 2011 - 14:37:28 CDT

Original text of this message