Question about stale statistics

From: Mick <mjmstud_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

I am doing some investigation into stale statistics in our database.

We are running Oracle 10.2.0.3.0

Using the sql below it returns several indexes :

select INDEX_NAME, TABLE_NAME, LAST_ANALYZED, STALE_STATS from dba_ind_statistics
where TABLE_OWNER = 'BWGIS'
and STALE_STATS = 'YES'
order by LAST_ANALYZED

The job GATHER_STATS_JOB has been running on our system and this is proven by the fact that the last_analyzed date corresponds with the time that this job is scheduled to run.

If I manually gather statistics for a particular table using dbms_stats.gather_table_stats then the stats for that table no longer show as stale.

Does this mean that the GATHER_STATS_JOB does not do all the work that you would expect?

As a result of this would it be better for me to run the statistics manually
myself?

Thank You in advance. Received on Wed Apr 20 2011 - 00:53:57 CDT

Original text of this message