Can datafile be resized while instance is open?

From: Dean <>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:48:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I am a newbie administrator. Is it safe to alter datafile size while database is open?
I need to free up disk space of our database. I found scripts online to calculate high water mark of extents and resize the datafile accordingly.
What I am not sure if I could execute sqls like "alter database datafile 'E:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\ORADATA\DB05\TL30.dbf' resize 108m;" while database is online and open? If not, what would be the proper procedures to take before executing the alter sqls?

Dean Received on Fri Apr 15 2011 - 11:48:45 CDT

Original text of this message