Re: Separate ASM disk group for online redo log files?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 06:55:17 -0700 (PDT)

Mathias:

> Ok, I've read a lot about ASM recently :-)
>
> In one of the technical papers from Oracle, they recommend to have
> only 2 disk groups: one for the data files, and one for the recovery
> files (FRA).

I have 2 disk groups one separate for the online logs and the other one for everything else.

I am NOT using an ASM based flash recovery area ... not using FRA at all. My archive logs go into a cooked file system.

I was getting some really nasty funky problems early on trying to stress test system while using archive log mode going into ASM based FRA. It was a while back ... but I pretty quick immediately decided I really did not want to put all my eggs into the ASM basket.

Disk based rman backups go into a cooked file system as do my archive logs.

If something goes south with ASM and you pretty much lose everything ... and your backups were inside ASM ... what are you going to do?

When using ASM for the database and testing recoveries ... one option ( which really really needs to be tested and documented ) is starting back at the beginning by recreating the ASM disk groups ... ( create diskgroup blah blah blah FORCE ) ... which also means you are then going to restore a controlfile backup next ). Received on Mon Apr 11 2011 - 08:55:17 CDT

Original text of this message