Re: ASM for single-instance 11g db server?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 09:36:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 6, 7:38 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joel:
>
> # Those of us on hp-ux Itanium just put "buy personal lubricant for
> Larry and onedbguru" on our shopping lists.
>
> I had a feeling this thread might get a little ugly but never guessed
> it would be JG throwing the hammer down.

Hey, an lol out of Noons is nothing to sneeze at!

Sorry, it just was irresistable, you should have seen the unexpurgated version. onedbguru is obviously well-qualified to be speaking on the topics he does, and I totally agree with what he is saying technically, for appropriate environments. But this is usenet, and strange reactions to minor sweeping overgeneralizations happen. Hopefully everyone realizes the slam is on Larry and his recent dissing of HP, onedbguru just stepped in a side-puddle of that. It reflects poorly on Oracle that we would even be able to make a joke about unix compatibility. Any discussion of large systems these days, Exadata is going to be the elephant in the room whether it is mentioned or not, and I think that makes nasty business practices by Oracle fair game. I've had a love/hate relationship with Oracle since the '80's, so this is nothing new to me.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/apr/04/local-link-japan-kyoto-prize-symposium-strengthene/