Re: ASM for single-instance 11g db server?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

Matthias:

# Do you have any idea what the performance benefit would be when you compare ASM with a Linux file system? If it's only like 10%, the additional configuration and maintenance work might not be worth the effort for us.

If you are even asking then ... it's probably not worth it for you. I have just not run any of my prod systems or even test systems on storage that was not configured raw ( and now "rawlike" using ASM ) ... like hardly ever.

For me it is just part of a learning curve that any DBA should have in their background. Plus ASM is being pushed pretty hard by Oracle and it really might be something you want to have on your resume.

I do not agree with Mladen's assertion that ASM is only for RAC.

Will your systems and apps work just fine using a cooked file system? Probably so ... Received on Mon Apr 04 2011 - 19:08:03 CDT

Original text of this message