Re: ASM for single-instance 11g db server?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 05:32:31 -0700 (PDT)

Mathias:

# Is ASM actually recommended for a single-instance (non-RAC) Oracle
11g installation on Linux, when the storage redundancy is managed by a SAN? Sure Oracle is pretty much recommending ASM for everything these days right?

We are using it for 11.1 non rac systems. Using EMC for storage redundancy ( raid 5 for test/dev raid 10 for prod ) and defining to asm the storage as already mirrored ( external redundancy I think is how you put it in sql ).

You can also do "double levels" of redundancy by also mirroring in ASM while the storage array also does it. I think that is overkill but some people would at least think about that.

# Is there a performance benefit when using ASM instead of ext3 or
even the newer ext4 filesystems?

You can "always" still fight thru setting up and using RAW type storage and avoid operating system overhead of file systems on linux if you want to. Using ASM though gives you that same type of performance with ( arguably perhaps until you get thru the learning curve ) easier/cleaner manageability than RAW storage. Received on Mon Apr 04 2011 - 07:32:31 CDT

Original text of this message