Re: RMAN CONVERT DATABASE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:05:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 1, 6:37 am, "Syltrem" <syltremz..._at_videotron.ca> wrote:
> "onedbguru" <onedbg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 31, 8:37 pm, BillPedersen <wmapeder..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 1:20 pm, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > With an ERP for an SMB with a POS interface as well as an interface to
> > the WEB then this issue goes away. Many small retailers who are
>
> > I would not say that it "goes away"... but it may reduce the frequency
> > of it occurring.
>
> > Playing Devil's advocate:
> > Sally goes into the store, sees the last item and places it in her
> > cart. Simultaneously Jane places the same item in her online cart.
> > Jane completes her transaction while at nearly the same time the clerk
> > scans the item from Sally's cart - item errors because there are no
> > more in stock.  Now, what does the proprietor do?  Tell Sally she
> > can't have what she has had in her cart for the last 30 minutes?  Will
> > the system be able to handle the situation (over-rides etc...) And
> > will they be able to order another widget and back-order the online
> > transaction? etc. etc...
>
> > No need to respond, just food for thought...
>
> I'll respond anyway...
>
> This situation should not happen in a well designed system.
> Items available on the online store should come from a distinct depot.
> Items in the store should come from this same depot (or another, doesn't
> matter) and the count of items on the online depot is reduced as items are
> moved to the floor for customer to take.
> Thus, the system alwways knows how many items can be sold online.
>
> If an item is sold online while the inventory says 0 are left, it is put
> into back order.
> Shipping department can retrieve the same item from the store floor if it is
> still available, and ship directly to the happy online customer. If not
> available, they have to re-order from the supplier (which makes it a "real"
> back order for the online customer).
> At this point the item is sold out and they have to re-order from the
> supplier.
>
> Syltrem

I think what he was referring to was the difference between concurrency models, which the app would either have to handle differently, or use a lowest common denominator approach ignoring Oracle's features.

The system I work on uses the latter, has been pounded on for years by many customers, rewritten to have a special engine just to calculate inventory issues like this, and still doesn't always get it right. And that's before customizations (customers get the app source).

As to the open source ERP targeting the roll-your-own SMB market, they'll have a heck of a time competing against the MS solutions, whatever they are. You still have to pay to implement, and it is cheaper to implement a moderate cost package than a free package. Well, maybe or maybe not _actually_ cheaper, but easier to sell as cheaper. It is an interesting twist to target roll-your-own sites with open source, since they theoritically have the expertise inhouse,  but those situations inevitably need some new guy to fix, who will bring in what he knows has worked for him before.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.infoworld.com/t/misadventures/oracles-ellison-accused-running-executive-fighting-ring-285