Re: RMAN CONVERT DATABASE

From: BillPedersen <wmapedersen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:28:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 29, 7:03 pm, onedbguru <onedbg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 6:06 pm, BillPedersen <wmapeder..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ok, there has to be some special incantation here.
>
> > I have tried both forms of this command and have not bee successful.
>
> > How does one configure the environment, preferably on OpenVMS for
> > invoking SQLplus so the transport script will run?
>
> > I have also seen the sequence of operations on the "ON TARGET" form of
> > the procedure different on various sites.  It is not clear whether the
> > RMAN CONVERT should be before or after the SQLplus execution of the
> > transfer script.
>
> > Any insight or guidance is appreciated.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Bill.
>
> Bill,
>
> What is your target system?    See note 413586.1  According to this
> note, you must copy all of the resulting files to the new platform and
> execute them on the new target system.  Did I miss something or is
> OpenVMS the target???   Make sure your symbols for SQLPlus are
> properly defined as well as the logicals for ORACLE_HOME.
>
> Error messages? DB Version?  Source and Target OS/version?

Source DB: "Linux IA (32-bit)"
Target DB: "HP Open VMS"
RDBMS is 10gR2 on both systems
OpenVMS I64 V8.4
RHEL 4.8 If I follow the "procedure" for "convert" source then that is the "simplest" as it does not require RMAN execution on OpenVMS.

Yes, copied the files to destination, in fact have placed them in the expected directory on the VMS system.

But then when it comes to executing the transport script (which has been edited for the target environment) then if I have Oracle enabled "normally" it already has a database open so it starts to complain that the there is already a database and can not complete the script.

If I have Oracle started but no DB open then it complains as well, executing orauser.com without a SID. Then I end up with:

LEEDS$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Tue Mar 29 19:33:26 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified

If I execute orauser against a known SID then it tries to do everything again that known database instance.

Do I need to create a database with a different SID and then replace the files there? That is not laid out in any of the documents I have seen.

Getting to the notes, 413586.1, seems to be problematic for me. I have tried but with the new environment Oracle has been setting up I do not seem to be able to... No support right now, just a small development/porting effort to get a product going and then...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill. Received on Tue Mar 29 2011 - 18:28:48 CDT

Original text of this message