Re: Oracle XE backup and restore to transfer data to another server

From: syd_p <sydneypuente_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 05:34:44 -0800 (PST)

On 4 Mar, 18:18, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 4:42 am, syd_p <sydneypue..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > I have XE 10.
> > 2 on linux, 3-4 times a day data gets written into this database,
> > which actually overwrites what was there before..
> > What I want to do is to backup this data, transfer the backup to
> > another server which I have not yet installed, and restore it so I can
> > run some applications against the data and test that it all works OK.
> > Or if it does not fix it.
>
> > Right now the database is not running in archivelog mode, cos it does
> > not need to be cos the data is transient. So probably I cannot use the
> > $ORACLE_HOME/config/scripts/backup.sh, cos that uses RMAN.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> > -Syd
>
> >  .
>
> Yosarian is correct about the cold backup, it explicitly (and kind of
> scarily, which is a good thing for production uses) tells you it will
> shut down the db for the backup (at least on winblows, you can look at
> the script on linux and see).  Note that there are also other options
> for transferring data. You can use the regular export/import
> utilities, which is very handy if you aren't using an identical XE
> elsewhere.  XE also has unload to text and unload to XML under the
> utilities menu.  Unfortunately you can't use the handy transportable
> tablespaces option.  http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/license.102/b25456/t...
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/25/former-canadian-defense-official-bl...
Hmm Thanks. Had a look thro the URL
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/admin.102/b25107/impexp.htm I realise now what I really want to do is to back up a schema on one box and then restore on another box which has a out of the box install of XE.
Seems like Data Pump Export and Data Pump Import is the way to go. Am I right?

-Syd Received on Wed Mar 09 2011 - 07:34:44 CST

Original text of this message