Re: ALTER TABLE TRUNCATE PARTITION full scans partition with LOCAL indexes

From: Randolf Geist <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 04:48:55 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 7, 2:56 pm, Steve Howard <> wrote:
> As you can see, the number of blocks is very close to what is
> estimated it will require to truncate this partition. Also as shown,
> all indexes are LOCAL, and there are no constraints either against or
> on the table.

Actually I can't see from your output that there are no global indexes since you show us only the output from a query against DBA_PART_INDEXES which by definition covers only partitioned indexes.

So if there was a global index and your output from GV$SQL was truncated and the statement executed actually contained a "UPDATE [GLOBAL] INDEXES" then this would explain a read from the partition segment as part of the truncate to maintain the global index.

Oracle related stuff blog:

Co-author of the "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book: Received on Tue Mar 08 2011 - 06:48:55 CST

Original text of this message