Re: Getting costs for hypothetical query plans

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:19:58 -0000

How have you managed to work out what the "right plan" should be ? As a starting point you could put in a few hints that force Oracle in the right direction - and that might be enough to get the plan you want to examine.

If you're on 10g the leading() hint may be sufficient to get started -

    /*+ leading(alias1 alias2 ... aliasn) */ where the list of aliases specifies the order you want Oracle to visit the tables.

Unfortunately, depending on the complexity of your plan, you may have to be more subtle to handle the complexities of subquery unnesting and view merging. Note that this hint isn't sufficient for a production system - but it may start you off in the right direction of reproducing the plan you want to see.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com