Re: Renaming Partitions

From: Adrian <>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:29:05 +0000

In message <>, Mladen Gogala <> writes
>On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:54:58 +0000, Adrian wrote:
>> I know I can use ALTER INDEX x RENAME PARTITION y TO z, but to do that I
>> have to work out what partition SYS_xxxx really is.
>I was just about to point you to the documentation which says that:
>There is even a simple example:
>Renaming an Index Partition: Example The following statement renames an
>index partition of the cost_ix index (created in "Creating a Range-
>Partitioned Global Index: Example"):
>ALTER INDEX cost_ix
>You apparently know this. I don't understand what the question is?

The question is how do I identify what the partition should be called. We are partitioning by date. When the partition is created, I can run an alter table command that says, for the table my_table rename the partition for February 18 2011 to my_table_110218. I don't need to find out that it is created as SYS_123 and then run "ALTER TABLE table_name RENAME PARTITION SYS_123 TO my_table_110218. What I would like to be able to do is something similar for the indexes. Is this possible, and if so how (without going to PL/SQL) ?

To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.