Re: Where's Cartman when you need him.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:32:49 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 17, 9:35 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joel:
>
> # Just got a call from some Oracle customer rep with a difficult
> Indian accent, telling me support prices will increase 10% for those
> who don't upgrade to 11g by end of support.  I transferred him to
> boss, who asked him when, and he didn't know.  (I think it's July).
>
> Sorry I am not understanding exactly Joel.
>
> Are you guys running on some version of Oracle that will go off
> official support and still needing to stay supported?
>
> Usually one just patches older systems up to the terminal software
> release if you are not going to migrate to a still supported version
> ( like 9.2.0.8 I think or ( eventually I guess ) 10.2.0.5 ? ).
>
> Oracle publishes all the dates etc pretty far in advance for this area
> so is there some recent change in policy and/or change in support
> dates that you are referring to?

I'm referring to them tacking on a 10% surcharge for support if you don't upgrade to 11g. That's new to me. I wonder how they would tell? Calling up and asking was... what were they thinking?

Our app vendor has minimum versions of their stuff for 11.1 and 11.2, it will be some amount of work for us to get to those. Actually, we expected to be there by now, but until now it wasn't seen as a big deal, virtualization and new mods and development projects were adjudged more important. There was some talk of stabilizing on 10.2.0.5, there was some talk about dumping it all for new systems without that vendor and/or Oracle, but now it looks like Itanium systems are so cheap they'll just give me another one to develop the upgrades and license appropriately.

10% of support is a relatively trivial amount among all this, but it has perceptual effects far beyond the dollars. Oracle has really been abusive for a long time, to the point of lawsuits. This pissed _me_ off unnecessarily, not to mention decision makers, and the timing was just atrocious (by coincidence).

_at_The Boss:

I'm a big Dilbert fan, I even have email from Scott Adams thanking me for grist. Hadn't seen that User Friendly that I recall, very nice.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20110217/ttc-oracle-business-practices-face-scrut-6315470.html