Re: temporary space issue

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 05:28:40 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 8, 6:58 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_no.address.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:25:58 -0800, ddf wrote:

> >> This is a better view, because it shows the SQL that allocated the
> >> space, but I still have to join it with V$SESSION to get the SID and
> >> with the DBA_TABLESPACES to get the block size. Without block size, I
> >> can't deduce the usage in bytes. Basically, I don't think that the
> >> improvement is significant enough to change my script.
>
> >> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> > V$SORT_USAGE reports on sort segment activity where V$TEMPSEG_USAGE
> > reports on both sort and hash activity and either one could be consuming
> > large amounts of temp space.  I suppose it's personal preference; I
> > prefer to see both the hash and sort activity in the temporary
> > tablespace.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> David, V$TEMPSEG_USAGE is a synonym for V$SORT_USAGE
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com- Hide quoted text -

No,; it isn't:

V$TEMPSEG_USAGE (9i and later releases) shows the temporary segment usage, by user, for all tablespaces:

SQL> desc v$tempseg_usage

 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 USERNAME                                           VARCHAR2(30)
 USER                                               VARCHAR2(30)
 SESSION_ADDR                                       RAW(8)
 SESSION_NUM                                        NUMBER
 SQLADDR                                            RAW(8)
 SQLHASH                                            NUMBER
 SQL_ID                                             VARCHAR2(13)
 TABLESPACE                                         VARCHAR2(31)
 CONTENTS                                           VARCHAR2(9)
 SEGTYPE                                            VARCHAR2(9)
 SEGFILE#                                           NUMBER
 SEGBLK#                                            NUMBER
 EXTENTS                                            NUMBER
 BLOCKS                                             NUMBER
 SEGRFNO#                                           NUMBER

V$SORT_USAGE (8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7) shows the sort segment usage, by user, for all tablespaces:

SQL> desc v$sort_usage

 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 USER                                               VARCHAR2(30)
 SESSION_ADDR                                       RAW(8)
 SESSION_NUM                                        NUMBER
 SQLADDR                                            RAW(8)
 SQLHASH                                            NUMBER
 TABLESPACE                                         VARCHAR2(31)
 CONTENTS                                           VARCHAR2(9)
 SEGFILE#                                           NUMBER
 SEGBLK#                                            NUMBER
 EXTENTS                                            NUMBER
 BLOCKS                                             NUMBER
 SEGRFNO#                                           NUMBER

They are different views.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Feb 09 2011 - 07:28:40 CST

Original text of this message