Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:06:19 +1100

ddf wrote,on my timestamp of 8/02/2011 1:15 AM:

> And I agree but many DBAs don't have the luxury of tuning queries
> before they get to production as the companies they work for use
> canned apps where the code cannot be touched. Hints and outlines can
> save the day in such situations.

"many"? Where I live, it's almost all of them. Hence why generalizations of the kind "dbas like hints because they lock-in" are completely out of kilter and void of any context or value.

> Not for prepackaged code that is 'untouchable'. Or don't you have to
> administer systems like Portal?

Yeah. But for example, execution profiles and such are simply impossible without some hint mechanism. These luminaries have basically brain-damaged Postgres for large production environments because they didn't ask any experienced production dba how to handle third party apps and what typical problems they see.

But of course we know they are all geniuses and any field experience for them is flawed by "dba attitudes". And other such lunacy. Typical Stonebraker attitude. Received on Wed Feb 09 2011 - 05:06:19 CST

Original text of this message