Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 16:51:39 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 6/02/2011 3:54 AM:

>> Triggers are evil!
>>

> Yes they are evil. I saw more then one trigger which badly messed things
> up. Triggers are also necessary for implementing business logic.

Humm, that is one of the very few times I totally disagree with TK. Not all triggers are evil.

Data level triggers are definitely in that class - *if* used irresponsibly. Database level triggers are very convenient and necessary in many cases.

Given the purpose and objective of each is completely different and addresses completely different needs, would it hurt TK too much to qualify that statement?

Otherwise we can also state that

"SQL is evil"

because plenty of folks can provide examples of such and therefore "prove" it.

Blanket statements with no context qualification whatsoever serve no purpose.

Otherwise we're gonna end up with another "rebuild indexes is evil" crusade, which really does nothing else than sell books and consultancy... Received on Sat Feb 05 2011 - 23:51:39 CST

Original text of this message