Re: upgrade and moving to another server in one stop

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:06:06 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 3, 5:48 pm, charles <> wrote:
> Dear group,
> We are moving our Oracle database on redhat 4 to redhat 5 and
> upgrade it to
> so, on server A(redhat 4), i took a hot backup using RMAN,
> on server B, (redhat 5), i installed,  i can restore and
> recover the database without problem.  But i cannot start the
> database.  I tried
> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open upgrade resetlogs;
> alter database open upgrade;
> None of them seems working.  Could somebody help me out?
> Thanks very much for your help

Why don't you give us exactly the sequence of actions you performed with all the complete details ...

Typically you do a recover database until cancel using backup controlfile then eventually cancel the recovery ... then alter database open resetlogs ... I find it is much less buggy doing stuff like this in sqlplus than in rman personally.

What happens on the open resetlogs? Sometimes it takes a very long time to complete that and you have to wait it out ... Received on Thu Feb 03 2011 - 17:06:06 CST

Original text of this message