Re: Direct NFS anyone?

From: The Boss <nltaal_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:56:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 24 2010, 8:22 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ???   C'mon, please do tell!
>
> > Linux on zSeries ...
>
> Ooooh!  Very pertinent!   Tell me more: you running Oracle on that?

Yes, about 10 instances, mostly 10.2 (1* 10.1 and 1* 9.2) Since about a year and a half, I'm not directly involved in Oracle DBA work anymore; the Oracle-on-z that I managed (more or less singlehanded...)  has been handed over to our 'regular' Oracle group that maintains several hundreds instances.
Besides the DB2/LUW DBA work I've been doing for several years now (next to Oracle), I have gone back to DB2/zOS as well.

> Which release? DB2 as well?

Yes DB2 as well, although most of our DB2/LUW-instances run on AIX nowadays.

> (it is quite possible our next step after power6 will be Linux on z-
> series, so I am starting to gather info)

You might try to contact Daniel Morgan, if he is still around. If i'm not mistaken he has been experimenting with Oracle on zSeries a couple years ago.
Also you should go to the Oracle-on-z Bootcamp that is organised regularly by IBM+Oracle.

O yeah, and get acquainted with zVM (if you choose to run you zLinuxes  virtualised under the hood of zVM like we do, not directly in separate LPAR's)
Good luck!

PS we have a number of 'z10' servers, but if you can get your hands on its successor (the 'zEnterprise 196' or 'z196' brought to market last summer), you may also opt for running Power7/AIX on it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_zEnterprise_System