Re: Am I the only one annoyed by ORA- error message sites?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:40:26 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 21, 8:38 am, Mark D Powell <> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 9:56 am, Steve Howard <> wrote:
> > Per the subject line, this drives me bonkers.  I have a particular
> > error message for which I am searching a solution.  All I end up with
> > are hits for some moron that wrote...
> > i=1;while [ $i -le 30000]; do
> >   oerr ora $i
> >   i=$(($i + 1))
> > done
> > ...and uploaded the output on the internet.
> > I feel better :)

I hear ya. I wonder if the problem is the lack of oerr on windows?

> Finding good information of interest can be a problem.  So often your
> top web hits are one of "he who must not be named" 20 different
> heavily cross-linked web sites where the information just cannot be
> trusted.
> I usually try to search Oracle support first, followed by OTN, and
> sometimes* before resorting to wide open
> searches.
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

If it's a oracle error, I do similar, except I use the wide open search second, it's better than the otn search and often has otn, cdo and oracle-l links high up anyways. As John noted, just a few words can push away the annoying sites, especially with plus signs on words or quoted phrases not in the error messages. I mentally reject some sites anyways.

I'm still a little surprised people don't use MOS first for error messages.

While trying an error message search to remember a site I mentally reject, I noticed a DMCA takedown notice on the google results page (not the first page, apparently starting about 10 result pages in), pointing at this: Experts-exchange suing some guy in Vietnam for copyright infringement, they submitted a DMCA to google, guy in Vietnam submitted a counter- -claim to google.

So why does Oracle not use DMCA on google? Maybe they have bigger fish to fry:

-- is bogus.