Re: Direct NFS anyone?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:03:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 23, 4:40 am, Tuomas <ho..._at_lut.fi> wrote:
> On 23/12/10 13:57, The Boss wrote:

> >> ???   C'mon, please do tell!
>
> > Linux on zSeries ...
>
> Ooh, that's not very common. Actually not common at all. Please tell us more?
>
> A friend of mine was a sysadmin for something like that (a zSeries
> something, running about 2000 linux VMs on it) for a while long time ago and
> I still envy him. ;)
>
> Not for the job itself but for the Big Iron(TM).
>
> Something with 500 (or 1500) PC processors just isn't the same, no matter
> how powerful it is.
>
> BTW & OT : Somebody asked to see pics of my VWs, but I've no idea who it
> was, so here's the URL to main page for all :)http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/
> (Beware the slow connection)

It was me, thanks!

I also had a bimmer for a couple of years (and a lot of miles) hard to believe it's been gone 9 years already: http://members.cox.net/joel-garry/bmw.htm

As far as the topic, it is really platform dependent, on both the server and nfs sides. IMO, if you stick with the common stuff that lots of people have done, it can be OK, but slightly outside of that domain, good freakin' luck. For the weird strange (hp-ux Itanium, in my case) or cheap stuff, fuggedaboudit.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Why am I even here on my birthday?