Re: Maxsize for Set of Tablespaces in 10g and 11i?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:36:55 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 13, 1:27 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 10:40 am, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com"
>
> <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Is there a way, on 10g and 11i, to create a set of 4 tablespaces, each
> > of which is
> > set to autoextend, so that the entire set of tablespaces has a
> > specific maxsize
> > value?
>
> > I am not interested in setting a specific maxsize value for any
> > specific tablespace,
> > rather, for the set as a whole.
>
> > Thanks
>
> The size of Oracle tablespace is determine by the Oracle block size,
> type of tablespace, and in the case of small file tablesaces number of
> files with up to approx. 4 million blocks per file.
>
> You can find the specificies in the Oracle version# Reference manual.
>
> For 11gR2http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17110/limits...
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

My response does not match the OP so I am not sure where this reply belonged but as Joel said you would have to role your own check for the total size of the 4 tablespaces in quetion. I would think you could sum the allocated bytes from dba_data_files and take the maximum size restriction into account to provide yourselft a quick check. I can see how such a ckeck might be useful if all 4 tablespace's data files were allocated to the same OS file system and you were compaing used/remaining agains the file system limitiation.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Dec 13 2010 - 12:36:55 CST

Original text of this message