(wrong string) ’s new_time function is buggy?

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:25:16 -0800 (PST)

I am using new_time to convert US EDT to GMT. Currently there is a difference of 5 hours between EDT and GMT; but Oracle function shows difference of 4 hours. It was 4 hours before last month day light time saving went in effect in US. It is still 4 hour difference instead of 5. I used this function to write day light time saving independent code, but alas function does not work correctly. Can someone point any flaws in my reasoning.

I am doing this test in Oracle 10.2.0.4 on HP UNIX 11i. I tried in Oracle 11.1.0.7.4 as well. Received on Fri Dec 10 2010 - 20:25:16 CST

Original text of this message