Re: SQL query

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:06:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 08:45:50 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> Which OUG are you talking about specifically? The IOUG or ???

NYOUG, happening in the Big Apple, every now and then.

> The local groups vary tremendously but any of the local ones probably
> vary quite a bit topic by topic meeting by meeting.
>
> It takes time and energy and motivation to present to the local user
> groups and obviously the quality of presentations depends on not only
> those 3 factors but also the person presenting and along with their
> presentation skills ( if any ) how much deep techical useable knowledge
> they have.
>
> In other words ... if you think you have things to contribute
> technically get out there!

Why would I want to do that? Is this yet another motivational speech? I spent a fair amount of bandwidth explaining that there is no sense of community, that everything has turned into a marketing push and that Oracle is doling out technical information to the precious few, using so called "oracle ACE program", and you tell me to "get out and contribute"? To whom? For what purpose? Community has to have some common principles, in order to be successful. I see none.

> I have been a member of my user group for almost 15 years and an officer
> for the last 4 years. It does take committed people to keep these
> groups flourishing or even just still meeting.

I'd gladly work for a common goal and a common good, but I have problems accepting the bottom line of the Oracle Corp. as a common good.

> Many of the meetings unfortunately do at times run out of presenters ...
> and at that time it is easy enough to borrow the use of one of the local
> Oracle people who often do put together a presentation light on the
> technical side and more biased toward sales.

It's very hard to make a good presentation when there are very few technical details on what is there to present. Also, OEM has killed almost all 3rd party monitoring tools. In order to use OEM effectively, one has to buy performance and diagnostics tuning packs, which are rather expensive. I suspect that suppressing the internal knowledge of the database is done on purpose, to push sales of diagnostics and performance tuning packs.

I dislike their attitude, I dislike their behavior and pricing and I've even been told that DBA personnel like me is no longer welcome to the "community" by none other than Larry Ellison. Why in the world would I "get out and present"? I will leave that to DBA 2.0. In cards, the card with number 2 is sometimes called a deuce. In the world of Oracle, so called "DBA 2.0" is frequently referred to as a dunce, which rhymes with deuce. I am not a dunce. Let them present to the community. I have better things to do. If Oracle Corp. wants to win me back, they'll have to work on it. Nuno is right, Oracle Corp. will reap what they sow, just as everybody else.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com