Re: SQL query

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:35:19 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 12:57 pm, Mladen Gogala <n..._at_email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:43:14 +1100, Noons wrote:
> > I even started Oracle in Australia with 6 other maniacs back in June
> > 1986! Talk about "commitment"...
>
> Wow! You started even before me! I started in 1988 with Oracle 4 on DOS
> 3.3 and PC-AT and have soon switched to VAX and Oracle 5.0. In 1986 I was
> "system programmer" working with VAX/VMS and...COBOL.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I did an evaluation of several rdbms's on VMS circa 1983, including Oracle. The relatively conservative strategic director decided to go RMS, since that was the mainstream at the time, and we were coming from PDP. So I didn't get serious with O until 1989, 5 on PC and 6 on Sun. But I distinctly recall a lot of PDP fans feeling pushed into the VAX world before the VAX I/O offerings had caught up with the 11/70.

In 1986 I was writing relational enterprise software modules that would run on both PDP and VAX. TKB forever! And ever and ever and ever...

By the late '80s I was seeing Oracle reps way over-promise to get sales. I pity the foo's who fell for it. But by the end of the decade, it didn't take a weatherman to tell which way the wind was blowing (I almost typed "blogging" there). So I literally said "so long, I'm going to the unix/Oracle world" to some VMS buddies. A few years later I got a job that involved development tools for RMS/Rdb getting transitioned to Oracle (and a few others).

Say Mladen, did you ever hear of a RSTS/VMS geek company named Software Techniques? Ever hear of a product from Beck Computer Systems named RMSEDT? I worked for BCS when ST went under and BCS picked up some of those guys.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.trademarkia.com/rmsedt-74007057.html