Re: SQL query

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:47:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 04:31:07 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> So this guy borrowed a lame joke from Tom Kyte who borrowed it from
> someone else ... and it is one of the more popular things on cdos
> recently?
>
> Guess that shows how far down cdos has sunk ...

The decline is primarily a consequence of the changed policies of the Oracle Corp. The amount of the relevant technical information has dropped significantly as well as willingness to share information and cooperate. My opinion is that this is a consequence of DBA 2.0 push, to promote idiots equipped with OEM instead of knowledgeable but expensive technology experts. That was the main factor for me when I decided to shift my focus away from Oracle. Oracle is starting to look very much like Microsoft. They may be successful but I don't like the company any more.

I have to confess that I no longer actively investigate the new features of Oracle, my time is spent on the other things, like PHP, Perl, Postgres, new versions of Linux and alike. Postgres is becoming a very good and usable database in its own right, there was a major overhaul of the Perl object model, see "Moose" module on CPAN, PHP 5.3.3 has namespaces and a lot of other goodies. I'm also investigating Amazon EC2 cloud and Android. Not much time for Oracle. Long story short, if Oracle stops making relevant technical information available, this group will wither and die because there will be nothing to talk about. We may talk about Paris Hilton or Sybrand Bakker, but I'm not really interested in either.

We had to wait for the latest installment of Tom Kyte's book to find out what is the heap of new processes all about. It's not available in the documentation. Speaking of the documentation, it leaves much to be desired. The department responsible for the technical documentation has obviously been outsourced to Elbonia as is easy to discern from the language used throughout the documentation. All of that shows that Oracle doesn't really care about the community it has once established. That is, of course, a two way street. I know when I am not wanted and will behave accordingly.

Lately, I'm more active on the Postgres forums than on the Oracle forums. I can survive without Oracle. Oracle seems to be doing just fine without me being a part of the "community", too. The situation and the attitudes resemble certain company from Maynard, MA that has adopted a similar attitude in the beginning of the 90's. Time to abandon ship.

BTW, PostgreSQL meetings in NYC are attended by people from companies that would be hard to imagine to have anything with Postgres: Goldman Sachs, Bank of America and Citicorp. Pilot projects are in full swing all over the place.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com