Re: Dictionnary statistics

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:57:59 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 24, 9:43 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 4:03 pm, "bob123" <nom..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > what is the general rule about calculate statistics on
> > the dictionnary in 9i and 10g ?
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> I assume that you are asking about the data dictionary statistics and
> fixed object statistics.  On 10g and above you definitely will want to
> collect statistics those statistics, see this thread from 2008:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...
>
> On 8i you should not collect statistics on the data dictionary.  Based
> on previous discussions on this forum, statistics collection on the
> data dictionary in 9i may or may not be a good idea.  Hopefully,
> someone else who is still working with 9i will reply with a better/
> more complete answer.
>
> Charles Hooper
> Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration
> from the Oak Table"http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

With 9i I believe most shops are better off not generating statistics on the Oracle base tables. However some Oracle Applications require the generation of statistics on sys objects so if your Oracle documentation specifies generating the statistics I would do so, but in the absence of Oracle products which require doing so I would not generate statistics on the base tables.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Nov 24 2010 - 09:57:59 CST

Original text of this message