Is your BI Software, Social and Collaborative ?

From: JTP PR <janinepelletier_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 04:17:03 -0800 (PST)

Gartner says social computing to change the face of IT and business

Gartner has identified the impact of social media as one of four broad trends that will change IT, and the economy, in the next 10 years.

Speaking in the keynote presentation at Gartner Symposium/ITxpo in Sydney on Monday, Peter Sondergaard, senior vice president at Gartner and global head of Research, said that the business impact of social computing over the next decade will be enormous. “Social computing, not Facebook, or Twitter, or LinkedIn, but the technologies and principals behind them, will be implemented across and between all organizations. It will unleash yet to be realized productivity growth, it will contribute to economic growth,” said Sondergaard.
Sondergaard went on to explain that the underlying ethos, culture and attitudes which shape popular social computing platforms, will pervade enterprise computing practices, and blur the boundaries between personal and professional activities.

Of course, not all software stacks qualify. I don't think your "Point of Sale" system or "hardware control systems" will ever need an inbuilt discussion board, wiki or user profile page; however, for other software layers it’s an exciting new frontier that could radically change the energy within businesses, allow knowledge across silos and improve commercial decisions.

Jeff Bezos (founder Amazon) has said, "We change our tools, then our tools change us". The adoption of social computing principles into key software layers within organisations will compel changes with how people work together. It has too. Consider topic based discussion boards on the net. Participants can access a wealth of experience and know how, they can record their own insights and have those insights tested and discussed by others. In short, everyone gets collectively smarter and knowledge that once took years to acquire is openly available to anyone who cares to participate.

Now take that concept internal to organisations and allow experience and knowledge to fly free. SME knowledge need not be stored in individuals but liberated, so that many others can share hard won knowledge and experience. The key to achieving this is not setting up traditional knowledge stores (like a knowledge base) separate to the software tool; but integrating it transparently into the software tools, so the users can socially interact while using the tool. Enabling convenience to interact and share, will naturally build the social layer.

Yellowfin is already ahead of the curve to harness the power of the collaborative components inherent in social media platforms.

The latest release of our Business Intelligence (BI) software – Yellowfin 5.1: which has been have coined, "Visualize, Socialize & Decide" – will include social media style features to boost corporate knowledge-sharing capabilities and facilitate faster, more accurate decision-making. Yellowfin 5.1 will be launched on November 30 in an exclusive series of Webinars and made available for general use from Friday 3 December.

www.yellowfinbi.com Received on Sun Nov 21 2010 - 06:17:03 CST

Original text of this message