Re: ASM disk cannot be found

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:43:30 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 12, 1:11 pm, charles <dshprope..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I have been working with Oracle without success.
>
> On my box, when i installed 10g, oracle cannot find the ASM disk with
> the default path 'ORCL:DISK1'.  I have to add a asm_diskstring in
> order for Oracle 10g to work.  that was not a problem.
>
> Recently, i have wiped out 10g and trying to install 11.2.0.2 grid
> infrastructure,  i got the error PRVF-5150
> PRVF-5150 : Path ORCL:VOL1 is not a valid path on all nodes -
> Cause: -
> Action:
>
> Oracle asked me to ignore the error and continue with the install,
> when running root.sh
> i got
> Adding daemon to inittab
> ohasd failed to start
> Failed to start the Clusterware. Last 20 lines of the alert log
> follow:
> 2010-11-12 12:56:55.448
> [client(30805)]CRS-2101:The OLR was formatted using version 3.
> 2010-11-12 12:56:59.167
> [client(30807)]CRS-2317:Fatal error: cannot get local GPnP security
> keys (wallet).
> 2010-11-12 12:56:59.167
> [client(30807)]CRS-2316:Fatal error: cannot initialize GPnP,
> CLSGPNP_ERR (Generic GPnP error).
> 2010-11-12 12:56:59.169
> [client(30807)]CRS-1013:The OCR location in an ASM disk group is
> inaccessible. Details in /crs/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid/log/rac1/
> client/clscfg.log.
>
> I have problem only on this box, but our SA insist this box is the
> same as other boxes.  Somehow ASMlib is not configured right.
>
> Could somebody help?
>
> Thanks

First, I have never used ASMlib on any of the more than 25+ clusters I have built (Solaris, AIX and Linux). If you understand disk device creation/setup (SAN (preferable) and locally connected SCSI), then ASMlib is unnecessary.

In addition to the disk string, did you remember to change the the ownership of the oracle devices to oracle:oinstall (or oracle:dba)??? You need to become a SYSADMIN if you are going to be RAC admin, and rarely trust what your SysAdmin says unless he can prove it. I have had to train many sys admins to do RAC and even ASM correctly. Received on Wed Nov 17 2010 - 19:43:30 CST

Original text of this message