Re: Any Experiences of 11r2 Win2k8R2

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:24:47 -0800 (PST)

Joel:

# I must say, I came to the conclusion long ago linux was incompatible with commercial interests - and certainly my personal desktop interests - but didn't really know if it was just me being a dinosaur and being wishful about all the effort being expended would be better spent on real unix.  I feel validated with Mladen's "carnival of vanities" post.

Ummm ... well around here lots of fairly big companies running lots of database systems on linux. Not too many problems in general with a mix of preferences including RedHat and OEL being the most popular platforms.

Just tons of people at Open World this year who have gone the fully monty over to linux for their database servers.

After Larry paraded the penguins around on stage a couple of years there is no going back. You can find highlights from OOW this year ... Larry talked for a long time about how Oracle will be developing/maintaining/enhancing and supporting linux.

Was I somewhat skeptical this year going to OOW ( and after we have moved to OEL ) after the Sun purchase. You know it. Did I come away with any leftover nervousness ... not at all.

Nothing wrong with Solaris and from a long time back I used to do admin work on it ( for the database and app servers ).

Neither linux or Solaris is going to be left behind by Oracle. Received on Wed Nov 10 2010 - 14:24:47 CST

Original text of this message