Re: Any Experiences of 11r2 Win2k8R2

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:29:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:48:49 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> On Nov 9, 9:43 am, "Jack" <n..._at_INVALIDmail.com> wrote:

>> How it is running?
>> Any spesific advices?
>> EM64T looks interesting.
>>
>> Thanks

> What's Win2k8R2? Windows 2000? Maybe is there a windows 2008?
>
> Sorry you lost me here ...
>
> Best advice is to not run Oracle on windows and go for real unix/linux
> systems.

Does that mean that Windows is a some sort of a unix system, but not the real one? The OP asked a perfectly legitimate question. I felt an impulse to jovially respond with "don't", but was able to refrain from such a childish act. BTW, it will be interesting to see the "real systems" with the write barriers in 2.6.32+:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt http://www.spinics.net/lists/xfs/msg00081.html

If nothing else, NTFS is a mature file system which can beat Ext3, Ext4 ReiserFS and similar toys hands down when it comes to I/O performance. NTFS has extents and defragmentation for years, Ext3 suffers a from fragmentation and slows down considerably if a multitude of small files, for instance with extensions like "*.trc", "*.aud" or "*.arch" are regularly written to and deleted from disk. Ext4, on the other hand, has extents to help deal with the problem, but no defragmenter:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1201298 (look at the reply by Nick Rhodes).

People who have created NTFS must be laughing to tears while looking at all of that. The mess is, of course, partially created by Linus Torvalds himself and his diatribe against O_DIRECT:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/10/233

As a matter of fact, Linux is in a sorry state these days. Buggy, having performance problems and having finally lost the battle for the hearts and minds: http://tinyurl.com/26tawax

I must say that running Oracle on top of Windows 7 is much less preposterous than it sounds. Windows, once again, rules supreme on the desktop, Oracle will likely mess up OpenOffice, the performance of Windows 7 server is not at all bad. I tested it myself and it beats down even a well tuned Red Hat 5.5 system on the same machine. It doesn't beat it down by much, but, to my surprise, the Windows 7 Server was the clear winner of our internal in-house test. It was a very lax setting, not a formal benchmark, so I cannot publish the results, but I must say that I was surprised by them. Windows 7 is a very solid animal, as well as NTFS, and our local SA was able to tune it quite well. The database was Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.1 on both machines, with filesystemio_options was set to "setall" on both configurations, disks were SAN disks on an old HP MSA disk array which went out of support and is no longer used for production systems. The system has 2 quad-core AMD processor units and 16GB of RAM. Linux was Red Hat 5.5 x86-64, with all the disks formatted as Ext3, while Windows was represented with 64-bit Windows 7 Server. Application was home grown.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com