Re: Installing Oracle for personal use using a server and client

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 22, 2:44 pm, coltrane <tendenga..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am planning on installing oracle for personal use. I am doing this to
> learn PL/SQL. I would like to install oracle on a server and access via
> PL/SQL and ADO on a client. I downloaded the free version of oracle from
> their web site. First, I want to access oracle from a remote client
> should I install the enterprise edition or will the standard or personal
> edition work? Next, what do I need to do on the client so PL/SQL or ADO
> will know where to find oracle?
>
> Are there any docs on oracle's site that address these questions?
>
> thanks for the help
>
> john

Since all editions of Oracle are free for evaluation purposes, and if you have sufficient disk space, I would suggest installing the Enterprise edition so you can get used to features such as partitioning, block-level media recovery, multi-channel RMAN backups, tablespace point-in-time recovery, parallelism, streams, etc.

As long as you're using this just for single-user testing/learrning purposes the license is free for the database; the client license has always been free. I would ensure that only you can get to your database server through your network; the following document can help you:

http://www.crswann.com/2-NetSecurity/Cisco_IOS_router--Lock_down_10-steps.pdf

David Fitzjarrell

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Oct 22 2010 - 14:23:28 CDT

Original text of this message