Oracle User Security via a middle layer

From: z1hou1 <z1hou1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 08:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Database:Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4) on Solaris running on Opteron

This is my issue. There are way too many options.

This is what I would like to do.

I have an application (a GUI) that connects to the database. But I really want to track who the o/s user.
I know that proxy user is an option. But it requires the creation of a proxy user with create session privilege. I would like to avoid the creation of a myriad range of users, not to mention the hassles of setting up or going through enterprise level processes to approve the creation of a database account for a new application user.

I would like to continue use Oracle table triggers that records who modified or created a row in a table. SYS_CONTEXT now offers a variety of options. Otherwise I have developers creating redundant procedures to manage this situation.

When I attempted to read up on the options I get into Oracle's Enterprise Security that is so vast and it looks like the use of Oracle Internet Directory may be involved. Or Oracle Identity Management.

May I know what my options are? Received on Sat Oct 09 2010 - 10:27:44 CDT

Original text of this message