Sparing Archived Redo Logs from Retention Policy

From: Myles <mylesv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi! I'm running Oracle 9i on AIX 5.2. I'm not using a recovery catalog, nor am I using media management software. I perform a full, online rman backup of the database and archived redo logs daily to disk, then use operating system commands to copy the backup to tape. There is only space on disk for two days' backups, so I need to have a retention policy of "redundancy = 1", and run a "delete obsolete" prior to the backup. The problem is that I don't want to subject the archived redo logs to this retention policy. I have two physical standby databases connected by WAN to the primary site, and I might need archived redo logs that are a few days old in the event of a prolonged WAN outage. I've read about the "keep forever" option, but apparently it isn't available without using a recovery catalog. Is there any way to spare the archived redo logs from my retention policy?

Thanks for reading!

Myles Received on Mon Oct 04 2010 - 19:44:34 CDT

Original text of this message